Friday, March 19, 2010

Commulife

Today, my fellow blogger and I had a pretty serious meeting with some pretty interesting people. I say it's serious because it will most certainly define the next year of our lives, and probably the rest of our lives in some sort of way. We're planning on moving in together, and with two friends, to live in intentional community. Sometimes I think about what will be different from just 4 people moving in together as roommates--I'm not really sure. Deliberately spending time together will be one part. Caring about the other people's crap will be another. Praying together, eating together, challenging each other, not ignoring problems but facing them head on. Forgiving each other, and asking for forgiveness. I guess getting intentionally that close to people will be interesting--it's strange to think that everyone I meet is just as complex as me, has just as many conflicting emotions and likes and dislikes. Oh but that's exciting. I am going to get to know these three people--all of whom I know already in varying degrees--so very well. Will this experience living in community, which I believe is the best way to live (never having lived in an intentional community before) affirm that belief, or destroy it? Will this be an experience that I look back on as the time I decided living in isolation and becoming a hermit or a cloistered nun is the best thing for me, or will it be the first of many experiences with community, each enriching and difficult and challenging and beautiful? I don't know. I guess I'll find out. Tomorrow we look for apartments.

No comments:

Post a Comment