Thursday, March 5, 2009

Laughter

I spent some time in Africa a few years ago, and I met there some of the most joyful people I've ever met. And not just joyful, but frankly funny. I was laughed at more during my short stay in Malawi than I ever have been I think, ever. Granted, I'm a fairly easy person to make fun of, but Malawians took it to a whole different level. They laughed at my clothes, at my hair, at my accent, at my name, at my clumsiness, the way I ate, anything! It made me realise the incredible way that laughter simply makes people more comfortable, even if they're the ones being laughed at, as long as it's done in a spirit of love. People who laugh a lot, regardless of whether or not they're funny themselves, have an amazing ability to put people at ease, even in awkward situations. And it's people who laugh that others are drawn to, no matter what situation they're in! Like those strangers (who you wish were friends) who notice that you're doing something absolutely ridiculous and aren't afraid to all out laugh at you.

I think it also teaches a valuable lesson about the dangers of taking ourselves too seriously. So, laugh at some people today. Laugh at yourself a lot.

-Infinite 

No comments:

Post a Comment